Sea Shepherd UK (we/our/us) is a not-for-profit organisation, a charity (registered no. 1110501) with the Charities Commission of England and Wales, and is a Public Company (registered no. 05474362) limited by guarantee and incorporated with Companies House. Sea Shepherd UK also has a charitable trading subsidiary ‘Sea Shepherd UK Trading Ltd’ which is a UK private limited company (registered no. 08845793) incorporated with Companies House.
We collect and use information about you that is often private in nature. This policy outlines:
- Our contact details
- A general statement on our information handling policies
- What information we collect and why we collect it
- How to opt out of further correspondence
- How this information is held
- How you can access and correct the information held
- Our complaint and dispute resolution procedures
Sea Shepherd UK
27 Old Gloucester Street
Email: [email protected]
Tel: +44 (0) 300 111 0501
General statement regarding data handling
Sea Shepherd UK respects your right to privacy and we recognise the trust you are placing in us through your dealings with us. As such we do everything we can to maintain that trust. Our Staff and Trustees are trained to understand data protection and what they need to do to keep your data secure.
Under law your rights to privacy are also protected. The law places strict requirements on us to treat any information you give us as confidential. The information you provide remains private and is only used by us for the purposes it was provided.
Information we collect & why we collect it
Sea Shepherd UK uses your personal data in a variety of ways which includes the following:
- Providing you with information or products that you have requested from us.
- Processing grants, donations, fundraising income and legacies received from you.
- Informing you about new products, fundraising opportunities, appeals or events
- Responding to any complaints from you.
- Informing you of changes to ways to support our charity.
- Inviting you to support our campaigns and keeping you updated on major developments
- Informing you of volunteering or crew opportunities.
- Inviting you to participate in surveys or research.
- Reviewing your records for the preparation of annual returns/reports, Gift Aid claims and during financial audits.
- Monitoring your information to ensure it is secure to prevent fraud.
Information we collect is always treated as strictly confidential and is never disclosed to a third party without your prior consent unless we are required by law, or when working with recognised UK organisations/authorities in cases of fraud or criminal investigations. Sea Shepherd UK will never make our GDPR compliant database available to other organisations without your consent, and then only to other EU organisations/companies which are GDPR compliant, or only with your consent to non-EU organisations/companies which have acceptable data protection policies.
Opting out of further correspondence
If you do not wish to receive any further information on Sea Shepherd UK or to be contacted about our work, you will be given the opportunity to make this election each time information is sent to you by email. Additionally, you may contact us directly on [email protected] or call: +44 (0) 300 1110501. to cancel any further communications.
How your information is held
- The security of your information is important to Sea Shepherd UK. When we have collected information about you it can only be seen or modified by Sea Shepherd UK staff or GDPR compliant contractors appointed by us. We make all reasonable efforts to ensure that your information is stored securely - both in electronic and physical forms.
- Where we use external GDPR compliant contractors, any personal information disclosed to the contractor remains confidential to us.
- Personal and financial information which is no longer required to be stored is destroyed. An exception to this is may be the retention of information for data analysis or financial record keeping requirements under UK company legislation. However, if this occurs then the information will be retained in a form which does not allow you to be identified from that information.
How you can obtain a copy and correct information held by Sea Shepherd UK
You have the right to ask for a copy of the information we hold about you. If you would like to know what information we hold about you - please use the Personal Data Subject Access Request Form which can be found at: https://seashepherduk.wufoo.com/forms/s1n46qdk01chhqm/
or contact Sea Shepherd UK staff directly.
Sea Shepherd UK aims to acknowledge any data requests you make within 72 hours and to deliver a copy of your data within 1 calendar month of your request being received. If additional time is required to produce a copy of your personal data we will contact you to explain why more time may be necessary.
To complete your request Sea Shepherd UK will request proof of identity and other information required specifically to accurately identify data we hold on you and to produce your copy.
In most cases we will not charge a fee to comply with a subject access request. However, where the request is manifestly unfounded or excessive Sea Shepherd UK may charge a reasonable fee for the administrative costs of complying with your request. Sea Shepherd UK will also charge a reasonable fee if further copies of data is required following a completed request.
When you receive your copy, if you discover your information is incorrect, incomplete or out of date - please notify us and we will correct, delete or add further information as soon as we are able.
If you would like to talk to our staff about your data or the above processes - please contact us on [email protected] or call: +44 (0) 300 1110501.
Complaint and dispute resolution procedures
Sea Shepherd UK values your support. Our staff will always try to assist you to accurately answer any questions that you may have, correct any inaccuracies in your data, or correct errors made on our part.